Dermal fillers allow for nonsurgical reshaping or enhancing of facial features to rejuvenate and refreshen the face…
SUMMARY OF FACTS:
- Dermal fillers are a safe and effective non surgical method of facial rejuvenation
- Dermal fillers can be used to enhance areas such as lips, cheeks, around the eyes, chin, nose, nasolabial folds, corner of mouth and wrinkles
- Temporary fillers have far less complications than permanent fillers and if you don’t like the result it is easily reversible by an injection of hyaluronidase
- Permanent fillers have a greater rate of serious complications such as infection and lumps and Dr Dona does not use these
- Treatment with dermal fillers involve firstly numbing the area to be treated, and then injecting the filler. There are usually some temporary side effects post-treatment, including redness, swelling and possibly bruising
WHAT IS THIS PRODUCT?
The products used as dermal fillers are restricted to use by medical practitioners and as such the TGA (Therapeutic Goods Administration) restricts the promotional use of the products names in Australia. Several different dermal fillers are now available in Australia and the most suitable product will depend on the area to be treated and the requirements of each individual patient.
Dr Dona specialises in the use of temporary fillers based on the naturally occurring hyaluronic acid (a sugar). As a natural product, hyaluronic acid based fillers are safe and are gradually absorbed by the body.
WHAT ARE THEY USED FOR?
Dermal fillers are used to fill or replace the lost volume in the face. Lost volume may result in a fold, wrinkle, flattening or shriveling of an area. Facial volume loss or displacement is one of the key factors in the ageing process, and dermal fillers can help to correct this and thus rejuvenate and refreshen the face.
Fillers can also be used to create shape and volume that genetics had denied, such as creating fuller luscious lips.
WHERE ARE THEY COMMONLY USED?
Dermal fillers are becoming increasingly popular as a means of adding volume and giving a younger and fresher rejuvenated appearance.
Dermal fillers can also be used for facial enhancement, including;
- Lip enhancement
- Cheek enhancement
- Non-surgical rhinoplasty / nose reshaping
- Chin enhancement
- Disguising eyebags / filling tear-troughs hollow under the eyes – fillers help to smooth the transition between the lower eyelids and the cheek, and therefore reducing the appearance of under eye hollows and/or fatty bulges.
- Naso-labial folds (the fold from the nose to the corners of the mouth)
- Eyebrows – fillers just under the eyebrows to give an eyebrow lift or to fill out any hollows there
- Treating jowls and marionette lines
- Filling in permanent frown lines
HOW IS THE TREATMENT PERFORMED?
During your initial consultation your desires are discussed and a management plan will be formulated to achieve this. We will outline for you the amount of fillers required, the price, the possible side effects and the necessary after-care.
The treatment with dermal fillers may involve the use of a topical cream or a local anaesthetic to help numb the area being treated. The dermal filler is then comfortably injected into the treatment site. For those who are nervous about the procedure (quite normal) we can provide ‘laughing gas’ to help settle your nerves and to minimize any discomfort.
Treatment times vary but generally take from 30 to 60 minutes.
Treatment with dermal fillers sometimes does take more than one session to get the best results. You are generally asked to return in a couple of weeks for a review and so that any “fine tuning” can be made.
The majority of people resume their normal activities immediately after the procedure.
WHAT ARE THE POSSIBLE SIDE EFFECTS?
Temporary dermal fillers have been used safely for cosmetic reasons for over 20 years.
No permanent fillers are used by Dr Dona as he generally believes that their history of significant potential complications outweighs the potential benefits. Only temporary tissue fillers are used by Dr Dona.
After the procedure, there is usually some transient redness after the injections. Swelling is also present after the procedure, especially with any lip enhancement procedure. Swelling of other areas post-treatment tends to temporarily enhance the effect of the dermal filler, and it often takes up to 3 days to see the actual real improvement without swelling.
Bruising can occur occasionally and if it does, like any bruise it can take a week or so to resolve. Make-up/lip stick can be worn (if applicable) soon after treatment should there be a need.
Asymmetry is also possible, but correctable on a subsequent visit.
Small lumps can occur, and these will typically dissipate in a few weeks. Otherwise they will dissolve with a simple injection of hyaluronidase.
The majority of patients resume their normal activities immediately following treatment.
HOW LONG DO DERMAL FILLERS LAST?
Depending on the type of filler used, they can last anywhere from 6 to 24 months.
WHAT IS THE COST?
The cost will depend on the choice of temporary filler and the amount of product used. Fillers come in prefilled syringes and these are single use. Some patients require only one syringe whereas other may require several. The cost starts at $600 plus GST for one syringe. There is no Medicare rebate.
COMBINING WITH OTHER TREATMENTS
Often an even greater level of facial rejuvenation can be achieved when combining antiwrinkle treatment with dermal fillers. Combination treatments such as this are often referred to as liquid facelifts.