Eliminating wrinkles the non-surgical way has never been so easy…
SUMMARY OF FACTS:
- Anti-wrinkle injections help to relax certain muscles in the face that cause wrinkles
- They are most frequently used on frown lines, crow’s feet, and forehead lines to create a refreshed look
- Wrinkle injections can also be used to produce a brow lift, to reduce bulky square jaws, and to control excessive sweating (when injected into the underarms)
- Wrinkle injections are a safe and effective non surgical method of facial rejuvenation that takes only a few minutes
- They work after 7-14 days and last for 3-4 months
- They are a safe and effective means of reducing wrinkles
- Anti-wrinkle injections can be used in conjunction with dermal fillers to help treat both static and dynamic wrinkles
Dr Dona’s Breast Implant eBook is finally here – The Gold Standard in patient education
- Over 200 Breast Implant Before and Afters
- Over 70 Real Surgery Videos
- Custom Animations
WHAT IS THIS PRODUCT?
The product is a natural purified protein. The product is restricted to use by medical practitioners and as such the TGA (Therapeutic Goods Administration) restricts the promotional use of the product name in Australia. Hence you will see words like B injection, wrinkle relaxant and anti- wrinkle injections being used by doctors rather than using the well known product name/s.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
Anti-wrinkle injections treat wrinkles caused by the contraction of facial muscles. They inhibit the transmission of neurotransmitter from the nerve to the muscle and stop the muscle from contracting and forming wrinkles. For example, they can be used to relax the muscles around the eyes to prevent the appearance of crow’s feet.
It is important to note that anti-wrinkle injections do not immediately improve static lines (lines that are present at rest). However, usually over a number of anti-wrinkle treatments, the skin that is normally creased has time to rest and recover and an improvement in static lines is typically seen.
WHERE IS IT COMMONLY USED?
Anti-wrinkle injections are most commonly used for treatment of frowns, forehead lines, and crows feet (at the sides of the eyes). It can also be used to produce a brow lift by shaping or elevating the position of the brow.
IS IT SAFE?
The product has been used safely in medical treatments for over 30 years including in children at high doses for the treatment of spasticity in cerebral palsy and for spasms of the eyelid and neck muscles spasms. The doses used for cosmetic purposes are very low and with millions of patient treatments each year it has a proven safety track record with no long term side effects to cosmetic doses of this product.
WHAT’S INVOLVED IN THE TREATMENT?
The treatment involves using a small number of extremely fine needles to inject a very small volume of product. The discomfort experienced is minimal and a cold pack can be used to reduce discomfort if necessary. The procedure takes only a few minutes and typically requires 2-3 days to start to relax away lines. It reaches its maximal effect in 1-2 weeks.
HOW LONG DOES IT LAST?
Generally on the first few sessions it lasts around 3-4 months but after regular treatments it can last longer due to retraining of the muscles treated.
If at any time you cease treatments your muscles return to normal and wrinkles return to how they were previously – they do not become worse.
RETURNING TO NORMAL ACTIVITIES
Normal activities can be resumed immediately after treatment. However, you should avoid strenuous exercise or massaging the area for the first 4 hours after treatment.
WHAT ARE THE POSSIBLE SIDE EFFECTS?
Overall the product has an extremely safe and proven track record with no reported long term side effects.
There are very few side effects and if they do occur they are usually minor and related to the injection site. There may be some slight local redness and swelling at the injection site but this usually settles very quickly (usually within a few minutes).
As with any injection occasionally a small bruise may occur and if it does it can be covered with makeup if necessary.
Other possible adverse outcomes include:
- Asymmetrical results
- Failure to cause a significant change in the wrinkles (usually due to inadequate dosing)
- When treating around the brow region, rarely (less than one percent) someone might experience a partial eyelid droop that can last for up to one month. However, this is only temporary and will resolve naturally.
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST?
The cost depends on the number of units of the product used. The number of units required depends on the area(s) being treated and the strength of muscles.
As a guide women require 20-30 units for frown lines, 5-20 units for forehead lines and 15-30 units for crows feet. Males usually have much stronger facial muscles and as such require larger doses than females.
The price of treatment per unit reduces as the number of units used per session increases with a starting cost of $11 per unit. There is no Medicare rebate on these treatments.
COMBINING WITH OTHER TREATMENTS
Often an even greater level of facial rejuvenation can be achieved when combining antiwrinkle treatment with dermal fillers. Combination treatments such as this are often referred to as liquid facelifts.